Searching The Web
1. All About Online Search
- The skill of being able to find information online is part of ____________ literacy.
- According to the video, do you think a person doing a search on Google will always find what they are looking for the first time they search for it?
- Name two examples of specialized search sites.
- Does Google always give you content for search that is reliable and accurate?
- Name 3 popular search engines.
- How do bookmarks help when searching online?
2. Google Search Tips
- When many people talk about searching the Internet, the substitute the word ______________ for "search".
- Name 3 options for conducting Google searches.
- What are the 6 Basic Search Strategies for Google (and other search engines)?
- On what part of the search results screen in Google do the "Related Searches" and the "Page Navigation" tools appear?
- Name the 5 different types of content that typically appear on a Google Search Result.
- Name 3 of the many ways you can narrow your search results in the Advanced Search settings.
- One critical thinking skill that searchers may use to get better search results is to use words that mean the same, or are _________________ of the original search request.
- Give 3 examples of Fast Facts that Google can do.
3. How to Read a Webpage
- What are the two things you will typically find in the header of a webpage?
- What is the job of the navigation bar of a website?
- What are two things typically found in the footer of a webpage?
- How do most websites make money to run themselves?
- How do mobile versions of websites work?
- When looking for information on a webpage, should you read every word on the page?
- Are advertisements usually helpful when researching a webpage?
- How do you open up the Find toolbar on a Mac?
4. Judging Online Information
- What are the 7 questions you should ask yourself when evaluating a website?
- Name the 4 top-level domains that we commonly see on the web, and what groups do they represent?
- What website is useful for verifying web rumors and untrue stories?
- Name two ways Wikipedia is helpful for conducting online research.