Balsa Wood Bridge
STEM LT Learning Goals
LT Focus Skills & Concepts (FSCs)
- Understand the concept of Scale Modeling and how it applies to design versus building.
LT Design Process
LT FSC Learning Path
Design and construct a balsa wood bridge that holds the most amount of weight while using the least amount of wood possible.
- End to end, the bridge must span an 8" opening.
- The MINIMUM WIDTH of the Bridge Deck must have an opening of 2". Your Balsa Bridge structure must not be wider than 4".
- The MINIMUM HEIGHT of the Bridge must have an opening of 2". Your Balsa Bridge structure must NOT be higher than 6".
- Your Bridge must support a wood block that is 8" Long, 2" wide, and 1" high. This block must be able to slide though the entire bridge deck opening.
- There must be a 1" x 1" opening at the midpoint of the Bridge Deck as well as in the roof to allow for the testing equipment.
Bridge Deck & Roof - Take a new 1/2" Grid Paper to design your bridge Deck and roof.